Utah National Parks Council's
Family Odyssey Wood Badge
July 24-29, 2017
at Mountain Dell / Tifie Scout Camp
Page Modified: 10 August, 2016
2016 Family Odyssey Guidebook Updated: 27 June, 2016
Bring your family, and experience Scouting at its best!
- Wood Badge and Timberline NYLT fees are due in full at registration.
- Families pay a $100 non-refundable deposit at registration.
- Registration ends and all fees are due in full on June 1, 2017.
- Cancellations must be made through the Council Service Center by May 15. You will receive a refund, minus the deposit. After May 15, cancelations will not qualify for a refund.
- Register for Wood Badge beginning November 1, 2016, Doug Robinson, course director
- After registering for Wood Badge, click "Keep Shopping" to add family members
- Register for Family Activities beginning November 1, 2016, Cheryl Tooley, director
- After registering for Family Activities, click "Keep Shopping" to add a Timberline NYLT Participants registration
- Register for Timberline NYLT beginning January 1, 2017, John Phippen, course director
Please read the following information carefully. It will address most of your questions.
Wood Badge with Family Odyssey is a unique approach to Scout Leader Training. Adult Scout Leaders attend Wood Badge, and youth Scouters may attend Timberline NYLT. The rest of the family gets a great Scouting experience, too. It will be challenging at times, but it is well worth it!
Please understand that Wood Badge training is intensive, running from right after breakfast until late in the evening. Many Scout Leaders want to attend this valuable training but don't want to leave their families home for a full week. Family Odyssey gives you the opportunity to come to the mountain together. However, you will not spend much time doing the same activities once the programs start. This might be compared to a normal work week at home. You'll each have unique experiences during the day and come together at meal time to share what you've done with each other. Wednesday night is Family Night when you can enjoy Camp Tifie's activities together.
Location and Facilities
Tifie (ty' fee) Scout Camp is located near Mount Pleasant, Utah, about an hour southeast of Provo. Its mountain terrain is rugged and beautiful. Activities include a heated outdoor pool, shooting ranges, COPE course, and much more. Tifie has flushing toilets, shower facilities, and each campsite has a covered pavilion. The acronym TIFIE stands for Teaching Individuals & Families Independence through Entrepreneurship.
- Plan to arrive at Tifie on either Saturday or Sunday (July 22-23). There will not be time to set up camp Monday morning before the programs start. Sunday church services are available in near-by Mount Pleasant.
- Campsites are shared with at least one other family. You may request who to share a campsite with.
- Trailer sites are $50 and must be reserved at registration. FULL-SIZE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TRUCKS ARE REQUIRED TO PULL TRAILERS UP THE MOUNTAIN. You won't make it up to camp without a 4x4, especially if it rains. There are NO RV hook-ups and limited power. Trailer sites may be further down the hill than the campsites.
- All meals are provided from Monday breakfast through Saturday lunch. Families eat most meals together.
- Plan to provide your own food before Monday morning.
- If you have food allergies or special dietary needs, please make note of them when you register.
Choose from these great programs:
Wood Badge Scout Leader Training
Wood Badge is world-class leadership training for Scout leaders and others who work with youth such as Bishoprics, Young Men, and Young Women leaders, and Primary leaders. This training expands leaders' vision of how Scouting helps today's youth become tomorrow's contributing adults.
Wood Badge participants attend training from breakfast until late in the evening each day. Families eat most meals together and camp together. Wednesday evening is Family Night, when everyone can enjoy Tifie's activities with their families.
One parent may attend Wood Badge. A responsible adult needs to be available in the Family Activities in case your child gets sick or has an emergency.
Timberline NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training)
- Scouts age 12-15 may choose to attend Timberline NYLT. It's excellent leadership training and a lot of fun!
- Timberline NYLT runs Monday through Saturday just outside Camp Tifie at the Perl Training Center, which is also located on the Mountain Dell Scout Ranch. Timberline NYLT participants will not see their families during the entire week.
- Family members who are not attending Wood Badge are invited to attend Timberline's closing ceremony on Saturday.
- Spouses and children of Wood Badge participants enjoy a full week of Camp Tifie's activities, conducted by Family Odyssey's volunteer staff.
- Family members will be assigned to age groups. Age group programs run each morning and afternoon, Monday through Friday. Parents are responsible for their children at ALL OTHER TIMES.
- Evening family activities are available and are optional. Wood Badge participants attend only one or two of these when their training permits.
Sample Age Group Activities:
- 18 months to 3 year-olds: Toys, story time, small activities, snacks, and naptime.
- 3-5 year-olds: A range of fun activities, stories, games and snacks.
- 6-7 year-olds: Games, crafts, nature lodge, swimming, BB-guns, and other age-appropriate activities.
- 8 -11 year-olds: Swimming, shooting, archery, nature lodge, crafts, C.O.P.E. course, and more. Boys may do some Cub and Boy Scout requirements.
- 12-13 year-olds: C.O.P.E. course, swimming, shooting, archery, off-site excursions, crafts and more.
- 14-18 year-olds: Camp activities like those described for the 12-13 year-olds plus some leadership training.
- Adults: Swimming, shooting, C.O.P.E. course, archery, crafts, and more.
|Wood Badge Participant ||$175 |
|Timberline NYLT Participant (register early for a discount) ||$175 |
|Family Activities - Adult ||$205 |
|Family Activities - Ages 12 – 18 yrs ||$205 |
|Family Activities - Ages 6 – 11 yrs ||$105 |
|Family Activities - Ages 4 – 5 yrs ||$70 |
|Family Activities - Ages 18 months – 3 yrs ||$25 |
|Family Activities Staff ||$125 |
|Trailer Site ||$50 |
A nonrefundable deposit of $100 is due at the time of Family Odyssey registration. Wood Badge and Timberline NYLT fees are due in full at registration.
If you have questions contact
|Doug Robinson ||Cheryl Tooley ||John Phippen ||Doug Barlow |
|Wood Badge Course Director ||Family Activities Directors ||Timberline NYLT Course Director ||Family Odyssey Coordinator |
|Doug.Robinson@nortek.com ||firstname.lastname@example.org ||email@example.com ||FamilyOdyssey.UNPC@gmail.com |
|(801) 636-4269 ||(801) 787-8868 ||(801) 717-6161 ||(801) 361-7126 |