Apply for Scouting Membership Online!
You have asked for it for years, and now it is here!
Beginning immediately, the traditional paper registration is being supplanted by an easy-to-use, paperless online registration process - for both youth and adults.
This is a giant leap forward in allowing new members and leaders to register in a way that's:
- convenient for them,
- provides increased privacy and security of confidential information,
- is more efficient for all involved.
To begin, each unit (for LDS-sponsored Scouting, each ward) must complete a few easy steps to enable the capability for their youth and adults.
Introduction Presentation from University of Scouting
Before You Start - Preparation Checklist
There are a few simple steps for unit leaders to implement that will simplify and streamline this process.
- Verifying correct contact information and registration status of key unit leaders
- Setting up the unit contact information
- Capture the online registration URL link (that is specific to their unit) for sharing with new youth and leaders
The Council has prepared a simple checklist document with instructions on how to accomplish these tasks. We have also prepared a detailed, step-by-step instruction set that will help even the most computer-challenged leaders (or ask help from your local Cub Scout!)
Simple Online Registration Checklist
Detailed Step-by-Step Instruction 'How-To' Document
How it Works!
Once the above steps are complete for a unit, the online registration process will work as described below for all volunteers and youth in that unit.
There are two ways for applications to be initiated:
- Through an invitation email sent from the unit leaders
- Through the www.BeAScout.org website
Invitation Email (recommended)
When a new youth or leader is joining your Scouting unit (pack/troop/team/crew), follow these steps to use the online registration.
- Send an email to the new adult volunteer or the youth's parents and include
- An nice invitation to apply for membership
- The unit-specific registration link
- The applicant will click on the link in the email taking them to a secure website that will step them through the online registration process
- Once the applicant has completed the online registration process, the COR (for adults) or Scouting leader/Committee Chair (for youth) will receive an email informing them of the new application
- The COR/Committee Chair/Scouting leader approves the application by following the instructions in the email
Parents of youth, as well as new leaders, can also apply directly through the www.BeAScout.org website. In order for this to work, the unit must have completed the checklist described above.
- Go to the BeAScout.org website
- Enter your zip code in order to find your unit
- Click on the 'Apply Now' button which will take you to a secure website that will step you through the online registration process
- Once complete, the unit leadership will receive an email informing them of the new application
- The unit leadership approves the application by following the instructions in the email
Congratulations – you have a new youth or adult officially registered in your unit!