North Star Training
AKA: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS)
North Star Overview
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (called North Star in our council) is a hands-on program that gives adult leaders the practical outdoor skills that they need to lead Scouts in the out-of-doors. The skills that are taught in this course are:
- Campsite Selection
- Ropes - Whipping, Tying, and Lashing
- Wood Tools - Knife, Camp Saw, and Ax
- Fire Site Preparation and Building
- First Aid
- Plant Identification
- Animal Identification
- Packing and Hiking Techniques
- Finding Your Way - Map and Compass Reading
- Leave No Trace
- Program Events - Flage Ceremonies, Interfaith Worship, and Campfire Progrms
Course syllabus: Introduction To Outdoor Leader Skills (#33640) Available at the Scout Service Center. Each Course Director should have a copy and other staff members as necessary.
This is a hands-on course. All of the skills are contained in the Boy Scout Handbook. All staff members and participants should have a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook.
- 2 Days: Friday morning through Saturday evening, OR
- 2 Week Ends; Friday evening/overnight and all day Saturday, All day Saturday.
District Training Chairs should contact Alan Radmall with the names of course directors, course dates and locations. Course Directors and Staff members should have already completed a North Star course. If you do not have members of your district that have completed North Star please recruit them to participate in one of the courses that are being offered by another district.
Equipment: We have three sets of equipment located at the Council Service Center. This equipment is checked out for 6 to 10 days depending upon the type course being held. Alan Radmall will coordinate with the course quartermaster on use of the equipment.
Registration: Courses will be assigned a council course number and registration will be conducted through the council service center
Council Camps: Use of Council Properties is recommended and can be scheduled through the Council Service Center.
- Faub and Beads $3.00 per set
- North Star Trained Patch $1.75 each
- Equipment Rental $5.00 per participant
- Food (4 meals, snacks, cracker barrel) $20.00 per person
- Misc. Expenses (i.e. name badges, copies, etc.) $5.00 per person
Note: The cost of the Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills syllabus is $7.00 each.
Contact: Alan Radmall : Council North Star Coordinator
15 S 900 E
Lindon, UT 84042
801-785-6508 (h) / 801-796-7966 (w)
To participate in this great training see contact or call the Council Service Center at (801)-437-6222.
This form may be used. An updated form will replace this soon. registration form.