Veteran Award

It important to note that volunteers are the core of the Boy Scout of America and the BSA Veteran award recognizes individual members for tenure in Scouting. The recognition items are a certificate, letter, and a lapel pin denoting the number of years of service. This pin is worn only on civilian clothing and not on the scout uniform.

  • The veteran award is an adult recognition only. However, tenure earned as a youth may be included in the total number of years registered.
  • Pins can be purchased at the local scout shop after confirmation is received from national records. Currently, 5-year to 90-year pins are available on  
  • After five years of registered service in the Boy Scouts of America, an adult may, upon application, receive the designation of “Veteran,” provided the person agrees:
    • to live up to the Scouting obligations 
    • to keep local Scouting authorities in the community in which residing informed as to availability for service
    • to be as active in the promotion of the cause of Scouting as circumstances and conditions permit. Service in Scouting organizations other than the Boy Scouts of America does not count toward veteran recognition.
  • An individual must currently be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America in order to receive an award.
  • An adult designated veteran pays the regular registration fee if desiring to continue to retain active connection with the movement.
  • Scouters desiring recognition as veterans must have maintained an active registered relationship for the required number of years, paying the annual registration fee. Starting in August of 2023, Merit Badge Counselors are included as a paid registration which can count toward Veteran status. 
  • The records of the national office and local council shall determine eligibility.
  • The periods of service claimed for veteran recognition need not be continuous.

Download Veteran Application

Submit Veteran Application for Approval

(Please include any additional information to verify service - i.e. service in another council, service before 1990 if applying for Veteran status for the first time)