Council Pinewood Derby
Ladies and gentlemn... start your engines!!!
- Main event: Derby racing!!
- Lego derby cars
- Derby tie slide
- All registered Cub Scouts and their siblings
- Orem Service Center (Map)
- Saturday, April 23, 2022
- 10am - 12pm
- Pre shaped (kit) cars are not allowed.
- Bodies of other materials will be grounds for disqualification.
- The body may be shaped, hollowed out, or built up as long as it meets all other specifications.
- Any additions to the body such as a steering wheel, drivers, paint and decals must be attached firmly.
- If any weight falls off the car on raceday it cannot be reattached.
- No part of the vehicle body may protrude past the starting gate.
- The vehicle width at the wheels may NOT be modified.
- It must be the same as the original kit.
- No wider than 2 3/4 inches.
- This allows the car to fit on track and not obstruct vehicles in the next lane.
- Material may be added to the side of the car but not be wider than the wheels.
- Overall length should be appropriate for the kit used.
- Pinewood derby cars are 7 inches long. (To fit in the starting gate).
- The car can be shorter as long as the front wheels do not extend beyond the front of the car.
- Overall height may not exceed 5 inches. (To fit under the scoring finish line)
- Minimum 3/8 inches from the surface. (To clear the track center guide rail)
- The wheelbase may not be modified. It must be the same as the official kit.
- The distance from the center of the axles must be 4 7/16 inches.
- New axle slots may be cut but the distance between the front and rear axle must be 4 7/16 inches.
- Extended wheelbases will not be allowed, shorter wheelbases are not seen as an advantage and are allowed.
Wheels & Axles:
- Wheels must be those furnished in the official BSA kit, or other official BSA wheels sold at the Scout Shop.
- BSA wheels only, no other manufacturer.
- Wheels may be sanded to remove the flashing (mold marks) only.
- Do not remove the words ‘BSA Pinewood Derby from the sidewall.
- NO reduction in width or diameter.
- NO change in shape.
- The BSA logo should not be sanded off from the sidewall of the tire.
- Wheels may be lubricated with dry graphite only. NO liquid lubrication.
- The original nail/axle may be cleaned up by removing burr and molding marks.
- NO 1-piece axles, NO washers, NO bushings, NO bearings, NO springs are permitted.
- NO aftermarket axles.
- All 4 Wheels are not required to touch the track, but racers are strongly encouraged to have 4 wheels on the corners so the car races down the standard track.
- Cars must not exceed five (5.000) ounces, We use one scale for all cars.
- Our scale is the official scale for this event.
- Our scale is accurate to 0.005 ounce.
- Cars may show as 5 ounces on a less precise scale but be overweight on the official council scale.
- Vehicles must free wheel with no stored energy or movable weights.
- The kit has no designated front or back to the supplied body, either end may be the front.
- The front of the car should have a square nose where the car meets the starting pin.
- No indentation on the nose where the starting pin touches the car.
- The car must meet the starting pin and be completely behind the pin.