Order of the Arrow Inductions/Ordeals
Understanding the Ordeal
The Order of the Arrow (OA) is Scouting’s National Honor Society. The OA emphasizes servant-leadership while having fun. OA candidates who have been elected by their peers must complete an "Ordeal" to become members. The Ordeal is a structured and safe event where candidates have an opportunity to reflect on their journey in Scouting and the values of the Scout Oath and Law through a series of tasks. The Ordeal consists of service, inspirational ceremonies, and time for self-reflection and improvement. At an Ordeal, candidates join other OA members in providing service to the Scout camp where the Ordeal is held and enjoy participating in the fellowship that is found at OA events.
Eligibility for the Ordeal
To be eligible to be inducted into the Order of the Arrow, Scouts must be elected by their fellow Troop, Crew or Ship members at a an election conducted by the Order of the Arrow. Requirements include:
- Be a registered member of the BSA
- Have experienced 15 nights of Scout camping within two years prior to the election; the nights must include one long-term camp of five consecutive nights, and
- Be under age 21, holding at least the rank of First Class (Scouts BSA), Discovery (Venturing), or Ordinary (Sea Scout) and approval of their unit leader
At the conclusion of the election, the elected Scouts will be notified about upcoming opportunities to go through an induction weekend, or Ordeal, where they officially become members of the Order of the Arrow and receive the sash and Order of the Arrow Flap patch.
Register for an Ordeal Ceremony
Having been elected by peers in your Troop, Crew, or Ship, please select an Induction ceremony you can attend.
What an Candidate should bring to his/her Ordeal
- Complete Scout Uniform
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Ground cloth or plastic sheeting (to be pulled over top of you in case of inclement weather)
- Canteen or water bottle
- Flashlight / Headlamp
- Towel and personal hygiene items
- Work clothes, shoes, and gloves
- Sweatshirt or coat, poncho, and hat (please check weather conditions before attending)
- Medical Form
General Schedule for an Ordeal Ceremony
Induction Check-In: Friday between 7PM and 8PM on Friday (check-in at the registration table)
Induction Parent Meeting: Saturday 4:30PM
Depart/Pickup: Saturday between 5:30PM - 6:30PM
- Friday: Activities, group instruction, and an evening ceremony. You will be given a place to sleep. EAT BEOFRE ARRIVAL - NO DINNER WILL BE SERVED.
- Saturday: Service projects, group instruction, and an afternoon ceremony (OA sash is presented and candidates are formally inducted as members of the OA). Breakfast, lunch, and late afternoon meal is provided (please do not bring any food).
For members: Register to help as an Elangomat at an Ordeal
In order to make an Ordeal successful, members are needed to serve as an Elanogmat.