Merit Badge Counselor
The merit badge counselor is a key player in the Scouts BSA advancement program. Whatever your area of expertise or interest—whether it is a special craft or hobby (basketry, leatherwork, coin collecting), a profession (veterinary medicine, aviation, engineering), or perhaps a life skill (cooking, personal management, communications)—as a merit badge counselor, you can play a vital role in stirring a Scout’s curiosity about that particular topic. By volunteering as a merit badge counselor, you offer your time, knowledge, and other resources so that Scouts can explore a topic of interest.
Become a Merit Badge Counselor
If you are not yet a merit badge counselor, follow these simple steps:
- Take Youth Protection training at https://my.scouting.org/
- Register with the Boy Scouts of America,
- Pick up an application at the local Council Scout Service Center or download an application
- Complete the membership application (listing merit badge counselor as the position)
- Effective August 1, 2023, the BSA will implement the following national membership fees which were approved by the National Executive Committee:
$25/yr This fee is for Merit Badge Counselors who are not already registered volunteers. (Merit badge counselors who are not also registered in a unit position are not allowed to attend overnight Scouting activities/events).
- Complete the Scouts BSA - Merit Badge Counselor Training on https://my.scouting.org/
- Complete the Merit Badge Counselor information form indicating for what badges you would like to be a counselor. This form can be picked up at the Council Service Center or download the form here.
- Return the following forms to the Council Service Center or mail to 1200 East 5400 South Ogden, UT 84403